Below are some of the milestones of the
Central Jersey Corvette Club's first 20 years.
We ask members to contribute to this list and/or update any of the entries.
Contact Bill K.
Updated - January 16, 2017
- August, 1997 - First meeting held at founders Mike and Karen Walsh's home, Hillsborough, NJ
- October 3, 1997 - First Club newsletter produced (See below)
- November, 1997 - CJCC website launched with e-mail
- December 5, 1997 - First Christmas Party held at the Somerville Elks Lodge
- February, 1998 - By-laws approved
- March, 1998 - CJCC logo was finalized and available for embroidery on clothes and hats
- July 1998 - Club purchases a brick at the NCM
- July, 1998 - First benefit show for a charity – Corvettes Conquer Cancer Tour
- July, 1998 - First Club picnic
- August, 1998 - First get-together at Corvettes at Carlisle - now an annual event
- August, 1999 - First Club Caravan to the NCM
- May, 1999 - CJCC orders first Club banner, 28" by 8 feet for $185.00
- September, 1999 - 50 Club flags were ordered for $500.00
- February, 2000 - Meetings moved to Hillsborough Municipal Building
- April 26, 2000 - First “Stewart’s Cruises” (now First Wednesday Cruises) held at Stewart’s Root Beer, Route 22 Lebanon, NJ
- ? - to 2011 - Meetings held at Somerset County Freeholders’ Conference Room, Somerville, NJ
- March 2000 - First use of two-way radios for cruises and trip
- 2002 - Club becomes a supporter of the Tomorrows Children’s Fund (TCF)
- December 9, 2006 - Lifetime Club Membership awarded to Club Founders Mike and Karen Walsh
- November, 2011 - Club becomes incorporated including Charter, new By-laws and name change to Central Jersey Corvette Club, Inc.
- August 19, 2012 - Club votes to becomes a corporate member of the NCM
- April 1, 2012 - New web site implemented with many new features and a new web address, www.centraljerseycorvetteclub.com
- April, 2012 - STS becomes our first Club Sponsor. It was agreed that RSTS, Inc. ahould also become a sponsor as Robert Schwartz's company developed the new site as part of the Club's development team.
- April, 2012 to March, 2016 - Meetings held at STS Tire Company’s HQ location at Somerville
- August 29, 2014 - Club's new web site wins first place at the NCM's 20th Anniversary Bash. Club Ambassador, Bruce Cenicola, one of the NJ cruise leaders, is there to accept the award.
- 2012 - Royal Chevrolet, Bridgewater becomes a Club sponsor. They are later bought out and the new owner cancelled the sponsorship
- April 1, 2015 - Flemington Chevrolet becomes a Club Sponsor
- August, 2015 - STS purchased by Mavis Tire. Mavis did not continue sponsorship.
- August, 2015 - Club surpassed $20,000 mark for donations to TCF
- Fall, 2015 - Our Club's NCM Ambassador, Bruce Cenicola, is appointed an NCM Master Ambassador
- October 24, 2015 - Club-only Facebook group developed
- October 28, 2015 - Resolution to dedicate our Somerville benefit show for TCF to the memory of founder Rich Shanahan and our annual Club picnic to the memory of Club member and former officer, Al Tone
- October, 28 2015 - Decision to award Lifetime Club Membership to former officer and leader of many great events, Joel Klein
- July 20, 2016 - the Stevenson D'Alessio Post of the American Legion becomes a Club sponsor providing the Club with a venue for our meetings.
- August, 2016 - Four of our Club members whose Corvettes have won awards this year are included in the display/slide show at the NCM.
- October, 2016 - Club trip to the NCM led by NCM Master Ambassador Bruce Cenicola and Treasurer Jay Siegel.
- December 31, 2016 - Club ends the year with 76 members
- ? = specific date is unknown
Data supplied by Bill K., Jay S., Charter Member Rick A. and Club Founder Mike Walsh
Adobe Acrobat document [176.3 KB]